Android app Stay informed wherever you are Discover our Android app

Harry & Meghan Move Back to UK: Full Guide | Royal News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly moving back to the UK in August 2026 with Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5. Here's why and what's next.

Harry & Meghan Move Back to UK: Full Guide | Royal News
Share
Edition: EN

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly moving back to the United Kingdom later this month, six years after stepping back from royal duties and relocating to California. According to multiple British media reports on August 20, 2026, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will settle with their children, Prince Archie (7) and Princess Lilibet (5), in a private residence outside London.

What the Reports Say

The BBC first reported that the Sussexes plan to move back this month, with the children set to start at a British school in September. The Daily Telegraph added that the couple currently has no plans to resume working royal duties. King Charles III was informed of the decision last weekend, and Prince William and Kate were also told, although Harry and Meghan have not officially confirmed the move.

Key Facts at a Glance

  • Reported move date: late August 2026
  • New residence: private, non-royal home outside London
  • Children's ages: Prince Archie 7, Princess Lilibet 5
  • School start: September 2026
  • Royal status: non-working members, unchanged

Why Are They Returning Now?

The reported return follows a rare July visit to King Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove, the first time in more than four years that Charles saw his grandchildren in person. Sources told Hello! Magazine that Harry left that meeting feeling 'buoyed and energised.' The 2020 Megxit split saw the couple move to Montecito, California, after relinquishing senior royal roles, but recent signs pointed toward a UK return: Harry's November essay expressing love for Britain, the charity's rebrand to Archewell Philanthropies, and the handover of the Archewell Parents Network in January.

Where Will They Live and Go to School?

Rather than a royal residence, the family is expected to live in a private home outside London while keeping their Montecito property. The move would place Archie and Lilibet in a UK school from next month. Unlike previous royal schooling arrangements for working royals, this arrangement underscores their status as private citizens. Harry is also expected to attend the WellChild Awards upon returning, according to reports.

Family Reaction and Reconciliation

The return is unlikely to end the long-running rift with Prince William, whom Harry has not spoken to regularly for years. Harry has also criticised the royal family publicly, including in his 2023 memoir 'Spare' and the 2021 Oprah interview. Last year, Harry told the BBC he hoped for a reconciliation. A July reunion at Highgrove with King Charles at Highgrove was described as a positive step, but Buckingham Palace made no formal announcement about the meeting. King Charles has maintained a 'no half-in, half-out' rule, meaning Harry and Meghan will remain non-working royals even after the move.

What Happens Next

If confirmed, the relocation could ease Harry's ongoing legal battle over UK police protection, which is due for review in 2026. It may also reshape the couple's business ventures and charitable work from a UK base. However, their status as private, non-working members of the royal family will not change, according to sources cited by Page Six. 'The King looks forward to spending personal time with the couple,' a source said, 'but their role will remain unchanged.'

FAQ: Harry and Meghan's UK Return

Are Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK?

British media report that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to move back to the UK in late August 2026 with their children, though the couple has not officially confirmed it.

Will Harry and Meghan resume royal duties?

No. Multiple reports state they will remain non-working members of the royal family, with no change to their status.

Where will Archie and Lilibet go to school?

The children, aged 7 and 5, are expected to start at a British school in September 2026, according to the BBC.

Why did Harry and Meghan leave the UK in 2020?

They stepped back from senior royal duties in 2020 and moved to California, later citing press intrusion and tensions with the royal family.

Has King Charles commented on the move?

He was informed of the decision last weekend and is said to welcome more personal time with his son and grandchildren, but there has been no official palace statement.

Closely related

King Charles Received a Rolls-Royce as a Coronation Gift, Not for Private Use
Politics
Politics
Closely related

King Charles Received a Rolls-Royce as a Coronation Gift, Not for Private Use

King Charles received a Rolls-Royce and other valuable gifts during his coronation, which are not for personal use...

Prince Andrew Sublet Royal Lodge Cottages for Income: NAO Report
Politics
Politics
Closely related

Prince Andrew Sublet Royal Lodge Cottages for Income: NAO Report

NAO report reveals Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor sublet three Royal Lodge cottages for undisclosed rental income while...

Royal Lip Reading Controversy Explained: Charles' 'Fuck Me' & Privacy Crisis
Life
Life
Closely related

Royal Lip Reading Controversy Explained: Charles' 'Fuck Me' & Privacy Crisis

British royals face privacy crisis as viral lip-reading videos expose private conversations. King Charles allegedly...

Prince Andrew Loses Royal Titles Amid Monarchy Protection Fears
Politics
Politics
Closely related

Prince Andrew Loses Royal Titles Amid Monarchy Protection Fears

Prince Andrew relinquishes royal titles under pressure from King Charles to protect monarchy from Epstein scandal...

Trump's Grand UK State Visit: Royal Welcome Amid Tech Deals
Politics
Politics
Closely related

Trump's Grand UK State Visit: Royal Welcome Amid Tech Deals

President Trump begins 3-day UK state visit with royal ceremonies at Windsor Castle, focusing on trade deals and...

King Charles State Visit: Trump Vows 'Very Safe' Security Amid Tensions
Foreign News
Foreign News
Closely related

King Charles State Visit: Trump Vows 'Very Safe' Security Amid Tensions

King Charles III begins a historic US state visit amid heightened security after a WHCA dinner shooting. Trump vows...