Android app Stay informed wherever you are Discover our Android app

Prince Harry, Elton John Ordered to Pay Daily Mail £9.5m

Prince Harry, Elton John and five others must pay £9.5m to Daily Mail publisher by 28 Aug 2026 after losing privacy case. Costs may reach £34m.

Prince Harry, Elton John Ordered to Pay Daily Mail £9.5m
Share
Edition: EN

Prince Harry, Sir Elton John and five other British celebrities have been ordered to pay £9.5 million ($13 million) to the publisher of the Daily Mail by 28 August 2026 after losing their privacy lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) last month. The interim payment covers part of ANL's legal costs from the 11-week High Court trial in London, with millions more potentially to follow.

What is the Prince Harry Daily Mail privacy case about?

The case, Lawrence & Others v Associated Newspapers Limited, was filed in October 2022 by Prince Harry, Elton John, David Furnish, Liz Hurley, Sadie Frost, Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Simon Hughes. They accused ANL — publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday — of unlawful information gathering between 1993 and 2018. The allegations included phone hacking and voicemail interception, placing listening devices in cars, deception-based 'blagging' and bribing police officers over a period of twenty years.

Why must Prince Harry and Elton John pay £9.5 million?

On 7 July 2026, Mr Justice Matthew Nicklin dismissed all 97 privacy claims, ruling that the claimants had strong suspicions but failed to produce sufficient hard evidence. Because they lost, the court ordered them to compensate ANL's legal costs. The £9.5 million is an initial payment due by 28 August at 16:00, according to the BBC. A further £25 million could be awarded in later hearings, with ANL's total legal bill estimated at £34 million, reports The Guardian.

What did the judge decide?

In a written ruling running to hundreds of pages, the judge said the accusations were serious and there were suspicions, but that courts cannot infer unlawful methods when a lawful route could explain how information was obtained. ANL denied all wrongdoing and called the verdict an 'overwhelming victory'.

Harry's reaction: 'Whitewash'

Prince Harry told British media the ruling 'whitewashed' the Mail's work. 'The extent to which the court exonerates the Mail is as shocking as it is completely unfounded,' he said. His co-claimant Simon Hughes is reportedly considering appealing the costs order.

How does this compare to Harry's other privacy cases?

Harry has previously settled with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers and won a phone-hacking case against Mirror Group Newspapers in 2023. Unlike those cases, the ANL ruling turned on the absence of direct evidence linking journalists to unlawful acts. Legal observers note the contrast with Mirror Group phone hacking settlements has renewed debate over the difficulty of proving deception-based information gathering.

Harry and Meghan's UK return adds context

The costs order came a day after British media reported that Harry and Meghan are relocating to the United Kingdom this month. Their children, 7-year-old Prince Archie and 5-year-old Princess Lilibet, will attend school near London from September. The move has prompted fresh discussion of Prince Harry and Meghan's UK residence and its implications for the couple's legal and public life.

FAQ

How much must Prince Harry and Elton John pay the Daily Mail publisher?

They must pay an initial £9.5 million (about $13 million) by 28 August 2026, with a possible additional £25 million to follow.

Why did Prince Harry lose the Daily Mail privacy case?

Judge Matthew Nicklin dismissed all 97 claims on 7 July 2026, ruling there was insufficient hard evidence of unlawful information gathering.

Who else was involved in the lawsuit?

The claimants were Prince Harry, Elton John, David Furnish, Liz Hurley, Sadie Frost, Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Simon Hughes.

What is Associated Newspapers Limited?

ANL is the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, and the defendant in the failed privacy claim.

Are Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK?

Yes, according to reports, the couple are relocating this month, and their children will start school near London in September 2026.

Closely related

Prince Harry Loses Daily Mail Lawsuit: Privacy Case Dismissed
Crime
Crime
Closely related

Prince Harry Loses Daily Mail Lawsuit: Privacy Case Dismissed

Prince Harry loses landmark privacy lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher as UK High Court dismisses phone hacking...

Harry & Meghan Move Back to UK: Full Guide | Royal News
Life
Life
Closely related

Harry & Meghan Move Back to UK: Full Guide | Royal News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly moving back to the UK in August 2026 with Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5....

Royal Lip Reading Controversy Explained: Charles' 'Fuck Me' & Privacy Crisis
Life
Life
Closely related

Royal Lip Reading Controversy Explained: Charles' 'Fuck Me' & Privacy Crisis

British royals face privacy crisis as viral lip-reading videos expose private conversations. King Charles allegedly...

Prince Harry: King Charles 'Doing Great' After Cancer Battle
Health
Health
Closely related

Prince Harry: King Charles 'Doing Great' After Cancer Battle

Prince Harry revealed King Charles III is 'doing great' at the TIME100 Sports Gala on July 16, 2026, offering a rare...

Prince Andrew Sublet Royal Lodge Cottages for Income: NAO Report
Politics
Politics
Closely related

Prince Andrew Sublet Royal Lodge Cottages for Income: NAO Report

NAO report reveals Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor sublet three Royal Lodge cottages for undisclosed rental income while...

King Charles Received a Rolls-Royce as a Coronation Gift, Not for Private Use
Politics
Politics
Closely related

King Charles Received a Rolls-Royce as a Coronation Gift, Not for Private Use

King Charles received a Rolls-Royce and other valuable gifts during his coronation, which are not for personal use...