Deadly Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 65, hundreds missing. Bamboo scaffolding and outdated safety regulations contributed to rapid spread. Three construction company officials arrested for gross negligence.
Devastating High-Rise Fire Claims Dozens of Lives
A catastrophic fire at Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court residential complex has claimed at least 65 lives, with hundreds more missing in what has become the city's deadliest fire in decades. The blaze, which erupted on November 26, 2025, continues to rage through seven of the eight towers in the Tai Po district complex, with rescue operations entering their second day.
Human Tragedy Unfolds
Survivors and family members face unimaginable grief as they search for missing loved ones. 'When the fire started, I told my wife over the phone that they had to escape. But when she got out of the apartment, the halls and stairwells were already filled with smoke and it was dark. So she had to go back to the apartment,' said Lawrence Lee, whose wife remains missing.
The tragedy has left families in heartbreaking uncertainty. A 52-year-old woman searching for her daughter told Reuters, 'She and her father are still not out. They didn't have enough water to save our building.' She carried a graduation photo of her daughter while searching emergency shelters.
Building Safety Under Scrutiny
The Wang Fuk Court towers, built in the early 1980s, were undergoing major renovations at the time of the fire. The complex was completely encased in bamboo scaffolding, which experts say contributed to the rapid spread of flames. According to CNN, bamboo's highly flammable nature, combined with Hong Kong's dry season, created perfect conditions for the fire to spread vertically without resistance.
The buildings predated modern fire safety regulations that require smoke-free 'fire safety zones' and mandatory sprinkler systems. Preliminary investigations revealed the use of non-compliant highly flammable materials, particularly Styrofoam used to seal elevator lobby windows, which accelerated the fire's spread.
Emergency Response and Arrests
Over 1,000 residents were evacuated to temporary shelters as 128 fire trucks, 57 ambulances, and 767 firefighters responded to the scene. Police have arrested three men - two directors and a project consultant from the renovation contractor - on suspicion of manslaughter for 'grossly negligent' practices.
Hong Kong leader John Lee announced emergency measures including 10,000 HKD ($1,200) relief funds per household and a 300 million HKD ($38.5 million) assistance fund. 'We will conduct thorough inspections of all bamboo scaffolding and consider transitioning to metal alternatives,' Lee stated during a press conference.
Cultural Heritage vs. Safety
The tragedy has reignited debate about Hong Kong's centuries-old bamboo scaffolding tradition. While celebrated as cultural heritage dating back 2,000 years to the Han dynasty, bamboo's combustibility has drawn increasing criticism. Hong Kong began phasing out bamboo scaffolding in public construction projects earlier this year, citing its 'intrinsic weaknesses' including inconsistent mechanical properties and high combustibility.
As search and rescue operations continue, the community mourns while authorities face difficult questions about building safety regulations and the balance between cultural tradition and modern safety standards in one of the world's most densely populated cities.
Nederlands
English
Deutsch
Français
Español
Português